Access Statement for Augill Castle
If required increase the font size via your browser settings - tools - text size - larger.
Augill Castle started life as a Victorian gentleman's folly built in 1841. It is now home to Simon & Wendy Bennett and their children Oliver & Emily, dog Holly, cat Harry, guinea pigs & chickens galore! A real family home which welcomes guests to stay for a night or two, have supper or dinner, party or even get married. A seriously relaxed venue - no false formality, but a place where you can kick off your shoes by the front door without causing a scandal!
It is an old building with small doorways and corridors but all ground floor guest areas are disabled friendly and there are two ground floor bedrooms - one with full wheelchair access.
- Augill Castle is contactable by phone, fax and email. The website has a printer friendly version for guests where fonts & colours can be changed.
- Public transport details are as follows: there is a main line train station at Kirkby Stephen (3 miles) and we are happy to collect guests. Main line train stations can also be accessed at Penrith (25 miles) & Darlington (40 miles). There is no viable bus service to the area.
- The nearest town is Brough (1 mile) and Kirkby Stephen (3 miles).
- Shop mobility is available at Kendal (40 miles) and Darlington (40 miles).
- Accessible taxis are available through Prima Taxis on 017683 72557.
- We have bedrooms with level access from bedroom to bathroom (Middlesmoor, Haygarth, Raisbeck), two rooms on the ground floor (Little Castle & Greystoke), and one room which has wheelchair access and a wheelchair friendly bathroom (Greystoke).
Arrival & car parking facilities
- We have private parking for guests and visitors (room for c20 cars) at the front of the castle and there is direct access to the front door.
- There is always someone on hand to assist with car parking & luggage.
- There is rear access to all cars once parked.
- There are no traffic calming measures or barriers.
- A contact phone number is displayed at the front door and there is a doorbell to press.
- We do not accept guest dogs except guide dogs.
- The signage provided is written & diagramatic.
- When you arrive in the gravel car park, there are two double outer doors opening outwards leading via a ramp to a porch and wide inner door to the hall.
Main entrance & hall
- The hall is oak panelled with lots of sofas and no formal reception desk.
- We do not have music in the guest public areas.
- Lighting is provided via a variety of chandeliers, spot lights, wall lights and lamps.
- Additional keys for bedrooms can be provided on request.
- Guests are shown round the castle on arrival and there is always someone to welcome you at any time of the day.
- The public rooms on the ground floor are all on a level and there is one step to the back rooms and toilet facilities for which a ramp can be provided.
- There are clear information signs throughout the house and a room file of information in each guest bedroom.
- There are many doors through the main house, all spring loaded in line with fire regulations and with door knobs for the main part.
- Walls and skirtings are all different contrasting colours.
Public areas - hall, stairs, landing, corridors, sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
- There is no lift or escalator and the first floor bedrooms are located via a double staircase.
- There is a mixture of wood flooring, rugs and carpets throughout the house.
- There are no public telephones but a house telephone is available on request.
- Lighting is a mixture of chandeliers, wall lights, spot lights and lamps.
- There is a step from the front rooms (which are all on one level) to the back rooms for which a ramp can be provided.
- First floor corridors are light and wide but with furniture in them and are on differing levels.
- Skirtings and walls are different colours.
- Standard televisions are provided in all bedrooms.
- There is a guest toilet with wheelchair access and a further two guest toilets downstairs in the back corridor.
- Baby changing facilities (not adult size) are provided by the ground floor toilets.
Dining room & bar area
- The Dining Room is situated off the main Hall and has a wooden floor.
- The Bar is situated off the Music Room in the Library and has a carpet. Drinks are available from a low level fridge and glasses are kept on shelves at low level. The bar is self service but assistance is always available.
- We have an in-house laundry and washing & drying can be arranged on a daily basis.
Grounds, gardens & outdoor facilities
- We have 15 acres of grounds, some laid to lawn, some to flower beds and others to paddock & orchard. The terrain is uneven and paths have been made using gravel.
- Access to the tennis court is via the main drive and a tarmac path with two wide, shallow stone steps dropping down to tennis court level.
- Greystoke is a ground floor bedroom with wheelchair access from the rear of the castle and wide doors, appropriate space & facilities in the en-suite bathroom. It does not have grab rails, hoists or an emergency pull cord. There is no room in Greystoke for an extra bed without compromising wheelchair manoeuvering space.
- The Little Castle has a ground floor bedroom with level step-free access suitable for a wheelchair. The en-suite bathroom is not adapted for people with impaired mobility.
- First floor bedrooms with level access from bedroom to bathroom are Raisbeck, Middlesmoor, Haygarth.
- Greystoke & Raisbeck can have twin beds
- All bedrooms have evacuation procedures clearly displayed and escape routes are marked in accordance with fire regulations. There is a full alarm system throughout the house.
- Staff have had "Welcome All" training.
- There are no mobility aids or equipment available in-house.
- Service dogs are welcome.
- The whole house is non smoking.
- There is full mobile reception throughout the public rooms and front bedrooms of the house.
- Upgrading pathways between main castle and Greystoke & the Little Castle
- Improving accessibility in the gardens.
- Provision of more handrails at level changes inside and outside.
Cumbria CA17 4DE
Grid reference: NY806138 - Longitude 2°18'W - Latitude 54°31'N
Hours of operation: Owners live on site
Emergency number: 07949245260 - 01768341178
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve. If you have any comments please phone 01768341937 or email