Eat & Drink
You’re looking for somewhere to relax, kick off your shoes and re-charge. You want good food, good company and some decent drinking time. You can’t be bothered with long complicated menus, whispering over the soup or constantly telling the kids to be quiet. You want to feel well fed and watered without breaking the bank and you want the children fed with food they’ll actually eat. Sound familiar? Then read on.
Dining at Augill is a unique experience. We are not a full-service hotel or restaurant but do more than bed and breakfast – although breakfast is definitely our most important meal of the day!
So what can you expect while yore here? This Autumn we have started a new Augill Italian Kitchen menu to reflect our love of Italy, its food and people, making the best use of local Cumbrian produce. It’s Cumbria meets Umbria and we make everything ourselves. Wendy has been tutored by celebrated Italian chef Giancarlo Caldesi at his restaurant in London and before buying the castle Simon ran an Italian-influenced modern British restaurant in London’s Mayfair.
In true Italian style, our Augill Italian Kitchen menu is best described as going to a dinner party with friends you haven’t yet met. We don’t serve dinner every night so when we do it’s a social occasion.
The dining room is at the heart of the castle and it’s an invitation to be part of an authentic country castle experience for breakfast, afternoon tea and supper. It’s friendly, informal and sociable. Is Augill right for you?
“Eating here is a social occasion” – Red Magazine
No whispering over the consommé or hushed separate tables here
- On Fridays and Saturdays throughout the year we host our legendary dinner parties – a set Italian inspired menu using the best Cumbrian produce – for guests to enjoy together at our long dining tables. We are family orientated and make our meals family affairs too. Dinner (at which all ages are welcome) is usually served around 7 – 7.30. If you have younger children who need to eat earlier, just let us know – we’ve got simpler food ideas for them too.
- Sunday is pizza night – a selection of Italian classics with big salads and berry and lemon tiramisu to end
- On Mondays and Thursday we serve delicious seasonally inspired two course suppers
- We do not do evening food on Tuesdays and Wednesdays but serve Afternoon tea – sweet or savoury, a sumptuous and very filling affair until 6pm with or without champagne! Read on below.
- Please get in touch if you have specific queries about evening meals. See our Augill Italian Kitchen menu here
Dinner £30 three courses, £25 for two – Children (under 12) £15
Sunday night pizza, salad & pudding £20
If none of this floats your boat, we have lots of places to recommend for you to eat out locally or on your travels and adventures.
Enjoy our food with other guests at one of our huge oak tables in the Dining Room as many guests have done for nearly twenty years. Many new friendships have been forged over dinner here. We’re not big enough for a chef or kitchen brigade and do all the cooking ourselves so advance booking for all our food is required – you’ll get details of how to do this when you book your room.
“Sunday night pizza in a castle. What’s not to like? And it was one of the best pizzas we have ever tasted”
If there are six or more of you, the Drawing Room is the perfect private dining space for a bespoke and truly unique dining experience and great if you’re not staying with us.
“As dinner unfolds you realise this is unlike anywhere you have ever stayed before” Manchester Evening News
Our food changes with the seasons, always with the same focus on the best ingredients cooked simply and without fuss just like proper Italian food should be. We have an open door policy in the kitchen so if you need to talk to us about food, please just come in.